Thursday, August 2, 2012

Appointment #1

Today was our first of every other day appointments for the next 10 days.  It was at 7am.  In Indianapolis.  Which currently, because of road construction, is a 2 hour drive.  So as I write this I am silently cursing my alarm clock.  4am and I do not get along.  Matt and I at 4am absolutely do not get along.  It has become almost a ritual for us to argue on Indianapolis appointment days.  Today was no different.  Is it a sign?  I don't think so.  We got over it pretty quickly.  I blame it on being up before the roosters.


Before I tell you more about today (because it's oh so exciting!) I should explain the last 12 days in the Fry household.  Almost 2 weeks ago I started my Lupron therapy.  Leuprolide acetate is used to  temporarily suppresses pituitary and ovarian hormone production.  Basically preventing ovulation from occurring.  This is all fine and dandy, but there are side effects.  And I am pretty sure I have had them all.  Hot flashes, dizziness, headaches, hot flashes, nausea or vomiting, hot flashes, and trouble sleeping are just a few.  Did I mention hot flashes?  I think I've experienced as many hot flashes than a menopausal woman.  It's not fun.  I am sympathetic.  Matt is not. 


Back to today.  I had an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts.  None!  And I had blood work to check my Estradiol levels.  I have not done enough research (so unlike me) to know exactly why this is done.  But, I do know that the goal was less than 35.  Mine was 8.  Perfect, I was told.  What this now means is that I can reduce my Lupron to 10 units and start Follistim tomorrow morning and Menopur tomorrow night.  More injections. Ugh.  Good thing I am a pro at sticking myself now.  I could probably do it with my eyes closed.


Again, please wish us luck.  I need it...well, you know why I need it.  And wish Matt luck too.  Living with me the next couple of weeks could be hell.  Between my hot flashes and the crying for no reason Matt may run far, far away.  He just better be back by retrieval day.  He has an important job to do.  Other than being there for me, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment