Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bills, Bills, Bills

Don't get me wrong. I did expect them. I just want to complain like everyone else. I can do that.

I have worked in medical/billing/insurance industry for some time now. Previously, with a large clinic that did everything they could to squeeze every exuberant, at times highly overpriced or even irrelevant charge into a visit that most people would have assumed (that's the problem...makes an ass out of you and me) would be at least be less than their weekly salary. On the bright side, the insurance they provided to their employees was phenomenal. I left because the commute was killing me and my marriage.

Now, I work for a much smaller (think 300 doctors smaller) clinic that does everything it can to squeeze every exuberant, at times highly overpriced or even irrelevant charge into a visit that 99% of people cannot afford to pay...even after insurance. Speaking of insurance...theirs is horrific. I was spoiled before.

In short...when I worked for the "large clinic" I ended up owing only 10%...of ANY SERVICE after I met my $250 deductible. I paid less than $20 a month for this insurance. With the "small clinic" have a $1550 deductible and will owe 20% on services after that (if I go to an in-network provider). This is insurance that I am already paying almost $100 a month for...that doesn't cover anything after the diagnosis of infertility. The coverage is so horrific I want to vomit.

Currently, I have been billed a disheartening $1,946.10. Not all of this is has processed with my insurance yet, but regardless I know I will owe more than $900 to satisfy my deductible. I did the math. And this is just the "inexpensive" stuff now. Ugh.

The initial consultation with Dr. Henry was $200. This I expected. The 6 labs ordered by Dr. Henry totaled $559.85. Holy crap! I'm not shocked though. Labs are outrageous anywhere. And then the HSG...$1186.25. I could be wrong, but I believe this the radiology fee only. Dr. Henry may bill separately to perform and read it. The $1,946.10 total does not include the office visit we had after the HSG or the medications I have purchased ($114 so far). Ugh.

Done. I am done grumbling. I could go on and on about the medical industry and how it is ruining the lives of Americans. But I won't. That is another story for another blog.

Money doesn't grow on the trees in our front yard. And Matt and I are by no means wealthy. But, we will pay these bills with and continue our journey. There is a baby girl...or boy...or both in our future. I can see the poop filled diapers now. I can also see Matt gaging until he pukes while begging me to "please just change it this time. I will get it next time."

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment